1.) What is SmartMLS Photographer Access?
- SmartMLS has decided to make photography management in our MLS platform easier and faster for those who opt in. When a photographer joins, they are given a Photographer User Name and password to directly upload their photos to specific listings that a Listing Agent has assigned to them. The photographer will only have access to the photo upload module and will not be able to modify or change any other listing information.
2.) How are photographers approved for the List?
- The photographer must complete the submission form on this page. A SmartMLS representative will email the photographer a User Agreement, where the photographer will agree to the proper license required for all photographs to be placed in the MLS. If you’re a photographer who wants to know more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll reach out to you with the next steps.
3.) What are the benefits to listing agents?
- Limit confusion about copyright and licensing matters
- Gain confidence in your photographer’s professionalism
- Know that your listing’s photos are protected in SmartMLS
4.) I’m a listing agent. Can anyone take my listing’s photos once they are entered into the MLS?
- No, the same MLS rules still apply. Agents may not take photos and use them without getting the original listing agent’s permission. Doing so is a violation that may lead to fines or other consequences.
5.) What are the benefits to photographers?
- Gain control of the image uploading process
- Build trust and reach with agents
7.) I’m a photographer. Are my clients allowed to sell my photos to another agent or service?
- No. Unless you give written permission for anyone else to use your photos, this agreement does not allow listing agents to sell your photos to anyone, including other agents. The only parties that use the photos are those working with or within the MLS to provide services for the listing, including syndication to popular online and mobile platforms, comparative market analyses, and other typical uses of MLS data.
8.) I’m a photographer. Can I still use my regular agreement paperwork when I work with a listing agent?
- Yes. If you have any other contracts/agreements that you need for your business, you may still use them. This program only applies to the licensing of listing photos input into SmartMLS. The SmartMLS agreement does not govern any aspect of the Agent/Photographer relationship.
9.) What are the specifications for photographs?
- Type: JPG (the most common type taken by digital cameras)
- File Size: less than 20MB in size (per photo)
- Ideal Dimensions: 1024 pixels x 768 pixels
- Ideal Resolution: 96 DPI or better
- Ideal Aspect Ratio*: 1.33
* The aspect ratio of an image is calculated by dividing the number of pixels in width by the number of pixels in height. Matrix uses an aspect ratio of 1.33 (e.g. 1024/768).
- Orientation: landscape or portrait
- Quantity: up to 40
*Images received that have a different aspect ratio will be automatically resized to achieve 1.33 and will be padded with white space on either the left and right or top and bottom edges to avoid image stretching.